Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Well this beats everything...

I know in the whole scheme of things, I have a perfect little life with nothing to complain about. There are people starving and suffering everywhere, living in poverty and I do feel very, very fortunate that we are happy and healthy and living in America. However, recently, with Noah (and both me and David) being so sick for what seemed like an eternity and our vacation being less than relaxing, a couple of our close friends made the joke that “our house has a curse on it” and laughed it off. Well due to recent events……I’m not so sure how outrageous that comment was! Wait til you hear what happened a couple of days ago. No, I haven’t been watching too many episodes of “Ghost-Hunter” (well, I have, but that is another story…). David, my handy husband, decided to update and fix up our plain, white fireplace mantle. I never in a million years would have known anything could be (or needed to be) done to this fireplace mantle as it looked perfectly fine to me but I am thrilled he thinks he can make it look better. He bought some decorative molding and built some columns to put on the sides. I’ve been harassing him for weeks because he started this project and didn’t finish it so the fireplace has had exposed, unpainted wood, etc and it has been driving me crazy (What? Is he busy or something? Ha ha). Anyway, he finally got around to finishing it a couple of days ago. After taking off the old part of the mantle and the old molding, etc he saw this little piece of cardboard or something inside the tiny crack in the wall of the fireplace and pulled it out only to discover it was a Tarot card! Not that we know anything about them, but to us and to the few other people we showed it to this weekend, everyone seems to agree it is definitely a tarot card. Because of how it was in there, it had to be placed there deliberately when the house was being built 25 years ago before the fireplace was built in front of it. I've tried searching the internet for an explanation of the card but can find nothing that looks like it. One side is black with a funky red star (luckily not the “Satanic” star…at least I don’t think it is) and inside the red star is a red five-leaf clover. I searched "five-leaf" clover and from what I can find that means bad luck (lovely!) but I can't find anything else about that being on a card. The other side is a strange multi-colored cross with lots of other small symbols around it. Not that I really believe in any of this stuff but I find the discovery of this card quite interesting and I want to make sure there isn't some creepy curse on my house!!! I’ve been told I need to “sage the house” just to be safe. EXCUSE ME?

So, Like I said, I really don’t believe in any of this (sure, I played the typical Ouija board games and séance games at all my childhood slumber parties) but we can’t help but being a little creeped out about it. I guess time will tell. If nothing else, it gives us something fun to talk about this weekend at our neighborhood adult social!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot to mention that the month the mantel was not done we were all sick. Hello!!!