Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day





It may only be my second Mother's Day but I couldn't help but look back at some of these photos from when Noah was first born. His hands and feet were so tiny. He was so small and helpless. It was an instant love so strong I knew without a doubt I would do anything in my power to protect him. I had become a "mama bear", that's for sure. As of today at 4:53 pm, I have been a mom for exactly 19 months which I know is such a short span in the life of so many wonderful, expert, seasoned moms out there. I know I am so lucky as I learned from the best, as I truly believe I have the most amazing mom on the planet. It wasn't until during these last 19 months that I realized all she did/does to sacrifice herself for the well-being of her children. Before I became a mom I had no idea how much I could possibly love another human being. I had no idea at all how much my heart could hold. Sure, I had experienced wonderful love before...but never like this. I was so nervous about becoming a mom and questioned whether I would know what to do, whether I would truly enjoy it and whether I could handle all the responsibility and sacrifice. It truly has been the most amazing journey and when I think about all I have learned about myself, about love and about the world in just 19 months (and 2 Mother's Days), I can't wait to experience many, many more years of being a mom, learning and growing. Both last Mother's Day and this one, I received this email from many different people of a poem about being a mom and I read it each time. Most everyone has probably already read it but I think it says it all so I wanted to share it in my blog:


Before I was A Mom

Before I was a Mom I made and ate hot meals.
I had unstained clothing.
I had quiet conversations on the phone.


Before I was a Mom I slept as late as I wanted.
And never worried about how late I got into bed.
I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.


Before I was Mom I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to lullabies.


Before I was a Mom I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.


Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, peed on,or pinched by tiny fingers.
Before I was a Mom I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts, my bodyand all my feelings.
I slept all night.


Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.


Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.


Before I was a Mom I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a Mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important.


Before I was a Mom I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was OK.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache or the satisfaction of being a Mom.


I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much............before I was a Mom.


Author Unknown

1 comment:

-Bridget said...

Happy Mother's Day!